Apple Cinnamon Muffins (GF)
- 2 1/4 cups almond flour*
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 2 tablespoons almond meal (ground flax seeds), optional
- pinch of mineral salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut or light flavored olive oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, or non-dairy milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup finely diced or grated apple…with or without the skin (1 large or 2 very small apples)
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, pure cane sugar or turbinado
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- tablespoon chopped oats, optional
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, flaxseed meal, salt, baking powder and cinnamon, give a stir to mix.
If using coconut oil you’ll want to combine and heat your coconut oil, maple syrup and non-dairy milk either on the stove top on low, or in the microwave until the coconut oil is just melted, about 30 – 45 seconds (This is to ensure that everything is warm or your coconut oil will harden when coming in contact with chilled ingredients.) You can skip this last step if using olive oil since it won’t react to the other cooled ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined. Stir in the apples and nuts, mix again. Batter will not be runny and should be on the thicker side.
In the meantime, either line your muffin tins with liners or grease with oil. In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon, set aside.
Scoop and fill each muffin cup just to the top. Sprinkle with reserved cinnamon sugar mixture and add a some chopped oats on top too if you like. Bake for 17 – 20, until toothpick comes out clean and muffins are browned on top. Let cool a bit, remove muffins and enjoy.Makes approx. 10 muffins.
You can make your own almond flour at home by grinding your almonds in a food processor. It’s very easy, takes about five minutes. Use 1 1/2 cups raw or toasted almonds to make 2 cups almond flour. For this recipe use 1 3/4 cups to make 2 1/4 cups almond flour.If you don’t have quick oats on hand, throw some rolled oats into a food processor and pulse until chopped.