Avocado and Black Bean Tortas
- 1 1/2 cup thinly shredded green cabbage
- 1 large ripe tomato, seeded and chopped
- 2 large radishes, thinly sliced
- red onion, a few thinly sliced pieces
- 1 can (15oz) refried black beans, warmed or at room temp
- 1 or 2 avocados, pitted, peeled and sliced
- sriracha cashew cream or cilantro lime cashew ‘sour cream’, as spread
- 3 crusty or soft sandwich rolls, split (I used telera)
- 1 – 2 limes
- hot pepper sauce, as garnish, optional
Prepare your veggies and beans. Slice your bread and remove some of the soft bread from the inside of the top slice, making a slightly hollow area for the sandwich filling (this is optional depending on what your rolls are like, you be the judge, I removed a small amount from mine).
Spread a good amount of the refried black beans over the bottom half of each roll. Top with avocado, radishes, red onion and cabbage. Spread your condiment of choice on the top portion. Squeeze some lime over the bottom portion and cover with the top half of the rolls. Serve immediately, or wrap and pack to go (if you can get out of the door without eating them). Makes three sandwiches.
Alternately, you could make this like the original recipe and combine the cabbage, tomato, radish and red onion in a medium sized bowl. Squeeze the lime juice on top and add a teaspoon or so hot sauce of choice mixing well to coat. Layer as above with beans, avocado, veggie mixture and some condiment of choice.
Options for those who are eating gluten free. Turn this recipe into tacos using corn tortillas or use gluten free bread of choice.
I highly recommend getting into the habit of making your own spreads but if you happen to be allergic to nuts or just don’t have the time to make your own, you can just as easily use 1/4 – 1/2 cup veganaise and add a little sriracha, about 1 teaspoon at a time, until your desired flavor/heat is reached.