- 1 ripe banana, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, + more as needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup gluten free all purpose flour or pancake mix (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/3 cup almond meal/flour*
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal (ground flaxseeds), optional
- 1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil for the skillet/griddle if needed
In blender, process the banana, vanilla and almond milk until smooth (the magic bullet works great for this task). Alternately, using a small/medium bowl mash your banana until smooth, a few small chunks will be fine.
In a medium size bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix. Add additional milk to thin to desired consistency. (Adding extra milk will depend on the size of your banana and how much banana puree you will have. Add milk slowly until desired consistency. I usually have to add a tad bit more milk.)
Heat skillet/griddle on medium, add oil to grease if needed. Pour your pancakes to the desired size. I like to use just under 1/4 cup for each one. Cook until nicely golden brown on each side, about 2 minutes on each side. Serve with maple syrup and any other topping you may like.Serves 2 – 3
You can purchase almond flour or make your own at home by processing raw almonds in a food processor/blender until a flour/meal consistency.
You may like to add one tablespoon coconut palm sugar or pure cane sugar as well. Depending on how ripe your banana is, the added sweetness will compensate if your banana is not fully ripened. Also a dash or two of cinnamon works nicely.