Basil Walnut Pesto with Mushrooms, Jalapeno’s & Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 2/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, softened
- 8 oz. package mushrooms, sliced
- 2 jalapenos, sliced and seeds discarded
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz. pasta of choice
- almond parmesan, for topping
Walnut Basil Pesto
- 2 cups basil, packed
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon
- 3 or 4 garlic cloves
- himalayan salt & pepper to taste (I used white pepper)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, optional*
Start with your pesto: Combine ingredients in food processor, process until blended and creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. Set aside.
Cook pasta according to package, drain and return to pot you cooked it in. Add a small amount of oil and toss to coat.
In saute pan heat oil over medium, saute mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes and jalapeno for 4 – 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. It should be smelling pretty delicious about now! Remove from heat.
Toss pasta with pesto. Place pasta on individual serving dishes and top with sauteed vegetables, add salt and pepper to taste. Top with almond parmesan for even more flavor. Serves 2 – 3.
I didn’t use the nutritional yeast in my recipe, it’s a good healthy option for those seeking to replace the cheese flavor in other pesto recipes. Add slowly until you find the amount you like.
Use as much of the sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms and jalapeno pepper as you like.
Use rice or quinoa pasta to make this gluten free.