- 1 cup spelt flour or flour of choice
- 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar or coconut palm sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (this will make them nice and fluffy)
- pinch of mineral salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, or non-dairy milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, for cooking
Preheat: If using griddle preheat to manufactures instructions.
Make batter: Combine flour, salt, sugar and baking powder into a medium bowl or wide-mouthed pitcher. Add milk and vanilla, mix until well combined.
Cook: If using a skillet, heat oil on medium heat. Place batter on griddle/skillet (I like to scoop the batter using a 1/4 cup measuring cup for uniform pancakes), cook until bubbles form around the edges or top and flip, about 3 minutes per side.
Serve with syrup, fresh fruit or any dessert sauce of choice.
Makes about 6 pancakes, serves 2.
To make a vegan buttermilk, add juice of 1/2 lemon to the milk and let rest for about 10 minutes.
For thinner pancakes add more milk.
Make gluten free by using gluten free all purpose flour or other gluten free flour of choice.
© 2014 The Simple Veganista. All rights reserved. Reprinted with permission from The Simple Veganista website.