- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)(15 0z), drained and rinsed or 1 1/2 cups cooked
- 4 tablespoons tahini
- 1/4 cup water (+ 2 tablespoons as needed)
- 1 small garlic clove or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- juice of 1 or 2 lemons, to taste
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon roasted pine nuts, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon himalayan salt, or to taste
Place all ingredients in food processor and blend until desired consistency. Taste for flavor adding anything here and there that you like….garlic, lemon, salt, cumin. Depending on the size of your lemons or how many you used, you may like to add the extra 2 tablespoons of water for slightly thinner consistency. I used all the water for the recipe pictured here.
Serve with toppings of choice or plain. I have garnished here with chickpeas, pine nuts, chopped parsley and a dash of smoked paprika.
Store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to a week or so.
You can use 2 tablespoon tahini + 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil if you like. Or you can use all olive oil omitting the tahini all together and still have a great hummus. Keep in mind the olive oil will slightly color the hummus, but not in a bad way.