Pizza Pie + Balsamic Tomato Sauce + Roasted Vegetables
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1 medium/large butternut squash (6 – 8 cups), diced
- 6 – 7 large sage leaves (about 2 – 3 tablespoons), chopped or 1 tablespoon dried
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 – 1 cup almond milk, plus more as needed
- 1 cup cooked cannellini or great northern beans, optional
- mineral salt & fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 12 – 16 oz pasta of choice
- toasted walnuts or pine nuts, to serve
Slice the butternut squash in half, remove seeds and cut squash into 1/2″ cubes (the smaller the cubes are the quicker they will cook).
Cook pasta of choice according to package directions, set aside.
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat, add shallots and saute a 3 -4 minutes or until softened. Add butternut squash and herbs, cook another 4 minutes stirring occasionally. Add broth, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until squash is softened, about 8 – 10 minutes. Let cool a few minutes. Add milk and beans to the pot. Using an immersion blender or food processor/blender, blend until smooth or desired consistency (a little chunky is ok). If using a food processor or blender you may need to do it in two batches. Taste for seasoning. Add back to the pot and heat before serving if necessary.
To serve, add a little sauce to the bottom of your dish, use the back of a spoon to spread the sauce outward a bit making a circular or zig zag motion. Place pasta on top and cover with more sauce, gently toss to coat if you like (if you prefer toss your pasta and sauce together in the pot and then serve). Top with toasted nuts and fresh cracked pepper.
Serves 4 – 6
Adding cannellini beans when pureeing/mixing will add extra creaminess and protein.