Simple White Bean Hummus
- 1 can cannellini beans (15 oz), drained and rinsed
- 2 heaping tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 or 2 lemons
- 1 clove garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, optional
- a couple twists of himalayan salt grinder
- a couple tablespoons of water as needed to thin
vary up your hummus with these optional add ins:
- 1/4 teaspoon or so of cumin and/or coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon or so dijon mustard
- herbs like chives or basil
- za’atar (I used as a topper)
Place ingredients in food processor, except water, and blend until desired consistency. Taste for flavor adding anything more to your liking…more garlic? more lemon? more tahini? more salt? blend again. Add water one tablespoon at a time to thin if needed (when using as a sandwich spread or binder I prefer a thinner hummus and will add a few extra tablespoons of water to thin it out nicely). Serve however you like it! It’s great either at room temp or chilled.
Makes 1 1/2 cups. Store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to a week.
Feel free to change the ratio of tahini and olive oil in this recipe. You may prefer to use all tahini or all olive oil, or maybe 3 tablespoons tahini and 1 tablespoon olive oil, etc.