Smoky Chipotle Maple T.L.T.
- 1 block (15oz) organic firm or extra firm tofu
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame or olive oil, divided
- 1 medium to large tomato, sliced thin
- Dijon or stoneground mustard, to spread
- 1 1/2 avocados, mashed, to spread
- a few leaves of your favorite sandwich greens, red or green leaf, romaine, iceberg, etc…
- salt to taste
- 6 slices bread of choice
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon tamari, Bragg’s liquid amino’s, coconut amino’s or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- generous dash of garlic powder or 1 clove garlic, minced
- dash chipotle powder, to taste
Remove tofu from the package. Turn tofu on its side and slice in thirds, creating 3 large slabs. Gently press each slab between a clean dish towel or paper towels to remove some of the excess water. Cut the slabs in half. You should have six pieces that look like large domino (rectangular) shapes.
In a medium sized shallow dish, mix together the marinade. Place tofu in the dish and let soak for about 1 hour turning carefully once or twice in between.
Once the hour is almost up, caramelize your onions using 1 tablespoon oil. Heat oil over medium heat, add onions, turn down heat to medium low, stir often and cook until they start to brown and caramelize. May take 10 to 15 minutes or so. Once done, set aside.
In same skillet, heat remaining oil and cook tofu over medium high heat. Once tofu has browned, about 5 minutes, gently flip and brown the other side. It’s ok if it gets a little crispy too! If you feel it is drying out too much, add some of the juices from the bowl it marinated in for extra moisture. When done, remove from heat.
Toast your bread. Spread one side of toast with mustard and the other with a layer of mashed avocado, about 1/2 avocado. Over the avocado, layer your lettuce, tofu, onions and tomato. Top with your other slice of bread.