Spelt & Oat Pancakes + Blueberry Compote
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 cup oats (old fashioned or quick oats)*
- 1 tablespoon sugar (coconut, raw or pure cane sugar)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup vegan buttermilk (1 cup non-dairy milk + 1 tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax meal + 3 tablespoons water), optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted or grapeseed oil
- 1 cup blueberries (frozen or fresh)
- zest of one lemon or orange
- 2 – 3 tablespoons lemon or orange juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar (coconut, raw or pure cane sugar)
If using a flax egg, place ingredients in small bowl and set aside for about 10 minutes to set. This is optional. I have made pancakes many times without the need for an egg replacement but you can think of it as added nutrition as flax meal is very good for you!
Place small saucepan over medium heat. Add blueberries, sugar, lemon/orange juice and zest, bring to a simmer, mashing the berries with the back of a spoon. Once warm, bubbly and thickened, remove from heat and set aside, about 10 minutes.
Preheat griddle or pan to medium heat. Combine the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, flax egg, vanilla and coconut oil. Add wet ingredients into the dry mixture and blend until just combined.
Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop and pour pancake mix onto a lightly greased griddle or skillet. Cook until bubbles form along the top and edges, about 2 to 3 minutes…bottom should be golden brown. Carefully flip and cook for another 2 minutes or so until golden brown underneath. Makes about 8 small pancakes.
Serve warm with blueberry compote and pure maple syrup.
Serves 2 generously.
If you don’t care for whole oats in your pancakes (like my daughter), you can process them to be a finer consistency or use the quick oats since they are a bit smaller.
I have made the compote with lemon and orange juice and zest. Both ways were equally delicious!